Tuesday, February 8, 2011

DIY Eco Dog Toy: Daisy Goes Green


I recently read an article by Dr. Jon from petplace.com about a noise dogs love...and people hate: water bottles. Apparently dogs go crazy over crinkling water bottles. I immediately thought of my crappy Victoria's Secret canvas bag that fell to pieces after just a few uses (not surprised), and, inspired, I set out to make Daisy a new toy out of its remains and a water bottle.

1. Remove the cap and the plastic ring (choking hazards).


2. Wrap the bottle with a tough material (in my case, salvaged canvas), inside out, and mark or pin the material so you know where to sew. Remove the bottle.

3. Sew up the side and across one end, creating an inside out pouch.


4. Turn the pouch right side out, stuff the water bottle in and sew up the open end.


Voila! Free dog toy!


I used a piece of the original handle to make a little handle on the toy for tug of war, and so far it has worked out quite well. Remember, it's a toy for your dog that will be used and abused; it doesn't have to be perfect. The whole thing took me 15 minutes to make. Try it out!

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that sometimes upcycling is a better alternative to recycling. Upcycling uses far less energy and resources than recycling, and it's fun!

peace & love


No comments:

Post a Comment