Monday, May 10, 2010

Fabric Banner Fun

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day! I headed into the weekend with no plans and came out exhausted anyways. Last week was pretty crazy, but I still managed to start and finish a fun project: Fabric Banner (from Kjrsten's How-To). This was too cute to pass up, and all I needed was an excuse. Our friend's mom's birthday is May 4 (last Tuesday), and since her birthday is so close to Mother's Day, the family dedicates the whole week to her - we call it Mommy Gras. So...we need a banner for Mommy Gras, right?! Right! {I apologize for the crappy pictures. I was pressed for time and took the pics in a hurry, but you'll still get the idea.}



I decorated a paint can to be used to store the banner - sort of a keepsake thing - so it will be safe and can be used year after year.

A Few Notes:

+ It took me three days to do.
+ I bought way too much fabric (2.5 yds), but that just means I can get a few more banners out of the material I have.
+ The letters need to be a different color. I was afraid the ivory felt would be too hard to see against the prints, and it definitely is. I wanted to get green, blue or pink felt, but the shades available were all wrong. So, I was stuck with ivory. Next time, I'll definitely use a different color for the letters. They need to stand out more.
+ I loved the way Kjrsten used buttons, and will try that on my next one (for my niece's birthday) to complete the look.

All in all, thanks to Kjrsten's simple instructions, the banner was a pleasure to make. I had a good time, and our friend's mom loved it. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment