Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pine River {Day 2}

Thursday morning we took hot showers and headed to Horina's where our boats were waiting for us. Matt and I got a tandem kayak, and the other 3 shared a canoe. Into the river we went.

My only prior kayaking experience was the weekend before when Matt took me out on the St. Joseph River to get a feel for what it's like...I was in for an hour...maybe. So, needless to say, I was a little nervous about the Pine. Turns out the Pine is, aside from being a river of water, NOTHING like St. Joe. It's really narrow, with lots of twists and turns, and there were SO MANY obstacles in the water - trees, rocks, rapids...The first day was really rough. Our friends in the canoe tipped over! I spent most of this run screaming, yelling "uh oh!" and hollering at Matt – “Are you paying attention?! Do you see that?! What do I do?!” It was suddenly clear to me why they’re called “divorce boats.” After 5 or 6 hours of this, we were hungry, tired, and on edge. We made it back to camp, ate, and well, I don't remember much else from that night. Note to self: bring a journal next time! {More to come}

No comments:

Post a Comment