Friday, March 26, 2010

Let me tell you about Forget Me Not…

Growing up in Mishawaka, Indiana, where unpredictable weather keeps us inside several days out of the year, my mom always had crafty projects for my sisters and me to do. One day we'd be decorating paper sacks for school lunches, and the next day we'd be painting and embellishing our own sweatshirts and pants. From hair bows to sneakers, we added our own touch to everything.
The dawning of the 90’s…Kassie is not diggin’ the neon, but I know we had fun with it! Mom even made matching hair bows!

Anyways, handmade is a part of me now, and I find myself less and less satisfied with products sold in chain stores. I’d much rather create my own things (though not necessarily in bright green and orange), be it a skirt I wear out or a little apron hook in my kitchen. Now, couple my desire to create with my hate for waste, and you get my Etsy shop, Forget Me Not.

Everything in my shop is made with love and with the earth in mind. Most of my products are upcycled, as it’s important to raise awareness of more conscious and creative use of our resources. Sometimes recycling isn't always the best solution. Upcycling is a great way to create beautiful and useful things out of what most people would throw away or recycle. It reduces the use of materials and requires less energy than recycling (and it's so much fun).

I am always working on new projects. Matt and I joke that we collect hobbies, but seriously...we collect hobbies. From classy cork wreaths to fun t-shirt headbands, I'm always working on something new. I’m so excited for the weather to warm up so I can get outside and start my next project: plantable paper and gift tags. I have wildflower seeds that I think will be great in paper, and I want to get some seeds for herbs like basil, chives, oregano, and parsley. Any suggestions? What would you plant?

No comments:

Post a Comment