Thursday, April 29, 2010

SLOW DOWN!

It's harder than it sounds. At home it's rush, rush, rush to get to work or rush, rush, rush, to get dinner ready. Then it's rush, rush, rush to get the food to my belly. It's ridiculous.

Speeding up and slowing down is a cycle for me, probably for a lot people. One day, in the middle of a mad dash to a filing cabinet, it just clicks, and I remember to focus on the present. This is something that takes a lot of practice, hence the cycles. Fortunately, with practice, the cycles get shorter and shorter, with more time being spent consciously. Hopefully, someday the daily sprint will be a thing of the past, but right now, I really have to work hard to focus and be in the here and now.

Slowing down is beneficial mentally and phsically. I'm NOT condoning couchpotatohood. Eating slower, however, yes, it is good for you phsically. Walking slower, for me anyway, is good phsically because I run into less stuff. I've been trying to slow down at work, and it has made my days so much easier. I take time to appreciate and be proud of my work (not necessarily the concept, but accuracy, style, etc. the product itself) I don't get those long, boring clumps of brain deteriorating time to spin in my chair or pick staples out of the carpet. At home, enjoy the time you have to spend with your favorite people. Drag out dinner and TALK. Our couch is getting dusty and I love it. Matt and I have been talking more and zoning out less (at least when we're together - I don't know how much he zones out when we're apart). Anyways, I have no idea what channel the TV was last left on because it's been a long time since I've watched it. We've been working on our projects - things we enjoy doing - and, though they're totally different projects, we've been working together. In the garage together, in the basement together, running errands together. We've been doing our own things, but I've been feeling pretty close to him. Maybe it's just because I've been paying attention. I've been slowing down, and now I feel like I can have all the time I want to do the things I want to do. Give it a shot.


Here are some of my favorite slowing down links:

Slow Food

Practical Tips to Practice Being Present

Savor Little Things


The Art of Doing Nothing

Are your days crazy? Take control.

Do Less to be more productive.


Yes...most of my links are from Zen Habits - probably because it's my FAVORITE peace of mind site ever. I definitely recommend poking around Leo's blog. He has a lot of real life, practical advice to share.

Thanks for reading! = )

No comments:

Post a Comment